At GKP we always keep an eye out for the most interesting and unusual university stories to make the headlines. These are the stories from September that we think really deserve a second airing.
1. The Oyster Is Their World. The academics hoping to initiate a sea change in Oyster perception (Bangor)
2. Sloppy Student Scrawlers. The university concerned with students losing the ability to write by hand (Cambridge)
3. What in the ‘Dickinsonia’ is that? The researchers who’ve discovered of a mysterious creature from 580 million years ago (Oxford, Bristol, Cambridge)
4. Curves in All the Right Places. The analysis that will let you know whether to worry (or not) about the growth of your dog (Liverpool).
5. Fit Bit Glitch. The researchers who discovered the worrying side effects of recording your route to a healthier life (Edinburgh)
6. Smartphone Making You Dim? The brain scientist who says excessive use of high-tech appliances stops us remembering (Oxford)
7. Contagion Effect. The research that proves it’s pointless trying to stifle a yawn (Nottingham)
8. Pants on Fire. The study claiming that educated people are the biggest liars (Middlesex)
9. You don’t look a day over fabulous. The researchers that have developed an anti-aging lab (Newcastle)
10. The fast and the furious. The PhD student who can deliver his 80,000-word thesis in just three minutes (Bristol)